Fresh Arts is currently seeking exhibition proposals for the
2014-15 exhibition series!
We encourage emerging artists of all mediums, art collectives, or independent curators to apply for an exhibition at Fresh Arts. Fresh Arts is a uniquely flexible and open exhibitions environment and each 6 week show comes with $250 honorarium, a free Fresh Arts Artist Membership, and lots of support!
Please see all the important details below! For questions, email email@example.com.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Sunday, March 23, 2014
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
Visit: Fresh Arts’ Submittable page HERE, register, and then just fill in the form.
(Be sure to read over the guidelines before applying.)
ABOUT FRESH ARTS’ EXHIBITIONS SERIES
Through its exhibition series, Fresh Arts seeks to provide emerging artists with a flexible gallery space to show their work outside of a commercial setting. We present four to six cutting edge exhibitions or creative projects each year in our 800 square foot gallery. The goal of the exhibition series is to present new, underrepresented, and innovative work in a variety of mediums from emerging artists, collectives, or curators. We prioritize uniqueness of artistic vision over commercial viability and strive to create a supportive environment in which artists may experiment, collaborate, and take creative risks.
In furthering its mission to provide professional development opportunities for artists, Fresh Arts dedicates time and resources to mentoring each exhibiting artist through the process of presenting a public exhibition, from marketing, to pricing, presentation techniques, lighting, cultivating clientele, and more. After having an exhibition at Fresh Arts, emerging artists will have greater insight into the professional exhibition process and be better equipped to meet their professional goals.
ABOUT THE GALLERY
The gallery at Fresh Arts is located within Winter Street Studios (2101 Winter Street) in the designated Arts District of Houston’s Historic First Ward.
SELECTIONS CRITERIA: HOW WE CHOOSE
All complete proposals submitted by the deadline will be reviewed by a panel of jurors for exhibitions to be scheduled from June 2014 through March 2015. We are primarily seeking artists who are not/have never been represented by a gallery, have not been included in any museum collections, and those without an extensive CV or extensive exhibitions history.
Fresh Arts’ will consider exhibition proposals from:
Individual artists (or art collectives) living in and around Houston who are not/have never been represented by a gallery, have not been included in any museum collections, and those without an extensive CV or exhibitions history.
Independent curators living in and around Houston who are proposing an exhibition of emerging artists(see above)
Artists of all disciplines (installation, video, paint, 2-D, 3-D, photo, dance, vocal performance, conceptual, performance, or multi-disciplinary)
Fresh Arts seeks work that is:
- Comprised of work that has not been shown publicly in Houston before
NOTE: If you are proposing an site-specific installation, you must submit the following information to be considered:
- Equipment needed and the plan to provide it
- Photos of any previous installations
- A project description detailing your vision of the completed installation and demonstrating your ability to fulfill that vision.
EXHIBITIONS EXPECTATIONS AND COMMITMENTS
If selected for an exhibition, the artist and Fresh Arts agree to the following:
All selected artists are to:
- Have an updated profile in Fresh Arts’ Artist Registry (This is free with an Artist Membership, which is awarded to those selected for exhibition.)
- Agree to attend meetings with Fresh Arts in person to plan exhibition and create/refine all relevant materials
- Provide Fresh Arts with necessary images, bios, CV, and other exhibition related materials by stated deadlines
- Collaborate with Fresh Arts to create a press release, which Fresh Arts agrees to distribute to a targeted media list.
- collaborate with Fresh Arts to promote the exhibition through social media and postcard distribution.
- Cover certain costs associated with the exhibition including: installation, framing, display supplies, and hanging.
- Return the gallery to its original condition following the exhibition (patch holes/re-install any removed gallery lighting/repaint, etc.)
- Commit to participate in any gallery sitting associated with gallery hours agreed upon by the artist and Fresh Arts (specifically, the artist will be present for any Winter Street Studio’s Second Saturday Open Studio events)
Fresh Arts agrees to:
- Provide a $250 honorarium per exhibition
- Assist exhibiting party with refining exhibition materials (artist bio, artist statement, press release, etc.)
- Cover the cost of designing and printing exhibition postcard
- Cover the design and cost of basic vinyl lettering/signage for the exhibition
- Feature the event on its website, social media channels, and email and provide public relations and marketing support
- Provide beverages for the opening reception (beer, wine, sodas, water); food (if desired) is the artist’s responsibility
- Process payments for any sales made during the exhibition
During the run of the show, for this collaboration, Fresh Arts will receive 25% of all sales.